This interview with Jeannette Hanna from the strategic branding agency Trajectory in Canada touches on the intertwined destiny of the fields of place branding, placemaking and place management. We also discuss place brand authenticity and how a qualitative approach to place brand development can help distill the meaning of places.
- How to create authentic place brands;
- How an inductive, qualitative approach can help to distill the meaning of places;
- The link between place branding, placemaking and place management;
- Good practice examples of storytelling and engaging communities in place branding;
- How a systems perspective can help us better understand how to balance chaos and order in place management.
Jeannette, advising on place brands is an important part of your strategy consultancy Trajectory. In your view, what does a city or destination brand need, to be authentic?
Just look at the definitions of authentic: Done in an original way; based on facts; being emotionally appropriate, significant, purposeful and responsible. All those apply. The challenge is to create a process for capturing a broad range of inputs and then bring them together in a meaningful synthesis – a “masala” of facts, voices, experiences and perspectives. As media seer Marshall McLuhan once said, “I don’t know who invented water but it wasn’t a fish.”
Because cultural customs, stories and values are so integral to the way of life in any place, it’s often hard for locals to see how their environment is distinct. The job of place branding is to help surface those one-of-a-kind qualities. That’s where the “genius loci” emerges.
The biggest mistake is to create some live/work/play pastiche of a place and then try to get the populace to “buy-in.” That’s the create-a-tagline-and-flog-it approach. It’s deadly.
Latest posts by The Editorial Team (see all)
- Interview with Mariette du Toit-Helmbold on Destination Marketing Strategies, Travel Trends and Brand South Africa - 16 November 2017
- Top 5 City Branding Case Studies and Examples To Learn From: How They Do It - 10 November 2017
- Interview with Diane Edwards on Brand Jamaica, Country Branding and Investment Attraction Strategies - 9 November 2017