It doesn’t happen often that initiatives aimed at the brand positioning or marketing of cities, regions or countries survive not one or two different political administrations, but three and counting. Stockholm, the Capital of Scandinavia is such a rare case.
To learn more about this well performing marketing platform, we caught up with its author, Julian Stubbs, who in this interview reflects on city branding practice and upcoming opportunities, and summarizes the key findings presented in an article he published in the latest edition of academic journal ‘Place Branding & Public Diplomacy’.
- The surprisingly successful case of Stockholm’s brand positioning as The Capital of Scandinavia;
- How city regions start to collaborate and unite below a shared brand umbrella;
- How inter-regional and cross-border place branding is offering new opportunities;
- The key challenges of seeing a city branding and marketing campaign succeed;
- Why we are entering a new golden age of place branding.
Julian, what motivated you to write your recent article* on Stockholm’s city branding?
It’s been 10 years since we worked on Stockholm branding and the city has been through three different political administrations, and still kept the same focus. Brands are about acting consistently and this is a basic area where many Place Brands fall down, so I thought it worth writing a retrospective of the work we did, what’s working and what still needs to be improved.
What are the key findings?
Ten years on and Stockholm has stuck with the same strategy through three different political administrations. This is really significant as I see a major problem for most places being the new politicians wanting to change everything when they get elected to office. Brands and change, generally, are not good news. You need consistency in the branding approach and in the strategy. This has been a major success for Stockholm.
Latest posts by The Editorial Team (see all)
- Interview with Mariette du Toit-Helmbold on Destination Marketing Strategies, Travel Trends and Brand South Africa - 16 November 2017
- Top 5 City Branding Case Studies and Examples To Learn From: How They Do It - 10 November 2017
- Interview with Diane Edwards on Brand Jamaica, Country Branding and Investment Attraction Strategies - 9 November 2017