Silver Lining Strategy is a consultancy specializing in tourism and events strategy, planning, and evaluation. It works with tourism authorities, event owners and councils to plan events that engage locals, drive visitation and encourage investment. The company’s place-based events approach helps put communities on the map.
We’re about helping places create and grow events that are integral to that place’s identity.
Based in Melbourne, Australia – with clients ranging from remote Australian towns to overseas metropolises.
Who is leading the business?
Stu Speirs, Founder and Director. A lover of places, and people’s stories. Stu is especially keen on major events that reflect a place, its history and where it is going.
Which topics linked to the branding and reputation of places is your business most passionate about?
Recurring events! From whale festivals in coastal towns to celebrations of gem fossicking in Central Australia, we can’t get enough of events that go to the heart of a place.
Five hashtags that best describe you:
#listentolearn #invested #openandhonest #communityovercompetition #leavealegacy
Which services do you offer to place brand managers?
- Community consultation
- Event calendar strategy
- Event business planning and strategy
- Event impact evaluation
- Primary research
Who have you recently worked with?
- Tourism Fiji
- Kangaroo Island Tourism Alliance
- Mackay Isaac Tourism
- Ballarat City Council
- Newtown Festival
- Events ACT (Canberra)
- Tourism and Events Queensland
- Sapphire Coast Tourism
- City of Whittlesea
Your insights or advice.
- Spend time and resources identifying and defining your place’s fundamental point(s) of difference. It’s that point of difference that will most often drive the attraction of visitors, residents and businesses alike.
- Establish a consensus around a vision for your place and an accompanying set of values. Bring everyone along for the ride by using that vision and those values to unify.
- Specifically, when it comes to recurring events, we like to put each event we work with through a filter of the “six fundamentals of sustainable events”. Have a look here.
You’d like us to introduce you to the Silver Lining Strategy leadership team? Get in touch!