In this interview, Mihalis Kavaratzis, Senior Lecturer in Marketing at the University of Leicester (UK) and adviser on place marketing and city branding, describes why we need to rethink place branding and what motivated him to co-edit the book Rethinking Place Branding: Comprehensive Brand Development for Cities and Regions (Springer).
- Why place branding is like listening to the life-stories of places;
- Why places need to understand and pay attention to their brands more than ever before;
- Why collaboration and citizen engagement is the most important part in place branding;
- How branding provides a general strategic guidance for place management;
- Key challenges: Which issues city- and regional authorities struggle most with;
- The key insights from the book Rethinking Place Branding;
- How to measure the effectiveness and success of place branding initiatives.
This interview is part of our premium content, available to subscribers only. To subscribe, please click on the blue button below. Already purchased Premium access but not seeing the whole article? Simply click on the “Already Purchased” link and sign in with your Tinypass username and password. You should only have to do this once for each computer you are using. More answers to frequent questions here.