For today’s place branding expert interview we take you to the Canadian capital, Ottawa: Meet Nicolas Papadopoulos – Chancellor’s Professor of Marketing and International Business at the Sprott School of Business of Carlton University – among the first to conduct research on country image and country-of-origin effects.
- How “Country image” and “country branding“ are two sides of the same coin;
- How terminology such as “place” can sometimes be confusing and divisive;
- How his view on the practice of country branding has changed over the years;
- Why country image matters enormously regarding buyer behavior;
- Which country brand rankings he finds the most useful and trustworthy;
- The main challenges and opportunities for country branding research right now;
- Four books every place branding professional should read.
Nicolas, can you briefly describe your current professional roles and responsibilities?
My base is at the Sprott School of Business of Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada, and my formal title is Chancellor’s Professor of Marketing and International Business. I have been at Carleton for many years, following an early career in business with 3M, Procter & Gamble, and Exxon and then a brief stint at Lakehead University in Canada.
I have held several administrative positions at Carleton, including as director of my school, associate dean, and so on, and have worked on numerous committees and special task forces over the years, but admin work was never my focus and I did it more as a matter of happenstance or “duty” than choice.
Instead, in addition to teaching I have stayed committed to the research side of academia throughout, and have also engaged extensively in executive training and consulting, with private and government organizations.
Latest posts by The Editorial Team (see all)
- Interview with Helena Nordström on Place Branding in Sweden and Characteristics of Successful Place Brands - 14 December 2017
- Overtourism in European Cities: Study Reveals Root Causes, Consequences and Possible Solutions - 12 December 2017
- Interview with Isabella Falco on the Success Strategy Behind Brand Peru Country Branding - 7 December 2017