In this interview with Oliver Zöllner of Stuttgart Media University in southwestern Germany, we take a rather down to earth, slightly critical view of the young field of place branding, as we are urged to not disregard negative stereotypes when capturing the essence of places.
- The difficulty in bringing out the essence of places and fighting negative stereotypes in order to build authentic and meaningful stories about them;
- Which product marketing norms apply to places and which don’t;
- The role of diasporas in communicating place bands externally;
- The potential pitfalls of blindly relying on the algorithms of social media platforms to spread your place brand messages;
- A critical perspective on place brand value measurement.
This interview is part of our premium content, available to subscribers only. To subscribe, please click on the blue button below. Already purchased Premium access but not seeing the whole article? Simply click on the “Already Purchased” link and sign in with your Tinypass username and password. You should only have to do this once for each computer you are using. More answers to frequent questions here.