City branding as a strategic management tool for local governments to promote smart and creative urban development is the primary research interest of Ari-Veikko Anttiroiko, adjunct professor in management at the University of Tampere, Finland.
In this first of our 2015 interview series with place branding thinkers, shakers and doers, Ari-Veikko shares insights from his recent book on the Political Economy of City Branding (Routledge, 2014) and explains why city branding is gaining importance in a globalised and mediatized world.
- How Branding serves as one way of looking at the connection between locality and its operational environment;
- Why ‘Urban attractiveness’ is becoming a key measure of success;
- How city branding can serve as a tool to create win-win situations for the whole community;
- Why we need to learn more about the effectiveness of branding places;
- Why place branding is particularly popular in Scandinavian countries;
- Whether city rankings are useful or harmful.
This interview is part of our premium content, available to subscribers only. To subscribe, please click on the blue button below. Already purchased Premium access but not seeing the whole article? Simply click on the “Already Purchased” link and sign in with your Tinypass username and password. You should only have to do this once for each computer you are using. More answers to frequent questions here.