“Focus on the Future” – City Branding of Mississauga in Ontario, Canada. Case study by David Ferreira, Jeannette Hanna and Malcolm Allan on how to develop a city brand strategy.
David Ferreira is the Brand Manager for the City of Mississauga in Ontario, Canada; Jeannette Hanna is the strategy Director for trajectory, a brand strategy and design agency based in Toronto, who led the consulting team that developed the city’s brand strategy; Malcolm Allan is the founder and managing director of Placematters, a UK place brand strategy consultancy, based in London, who provided advice on city branding strategy and practice.
- How Mississauga, Canada’s sixth largest city, is reshaping its image beyond the shadow of nearby Toronto;
- Mississauga’s strategy to attract international talent and investment;
- The lessons from Mississauga’s approach to initiating, creating and implementing a place brand proposition;
- Initial challenges of the city branding initiative and how they were overcome;
- The research phase;
- The implementation – bringing the Mississauga brand alive;
- Key learnings and city brand strategy advice.