What is it with Barcelona in Catalonia (Spain) that people’s eyes sparkle as soon as you mention its name? Where does this magic come from, and was it always like this? Far from it. As city branding expert Juan Carlos Belloso explains in this case study, Barcelona’s admired brand today is the result of many years of hard work and determination.
This reflection on Barcelona’s city brand development is based on the extensive professional experience of Juan Carlos Belloso, managing director at FuturePlaces. Juan Carlos assisted the Barcelona’92 Olympic Games Organization and helped develop the Strategic Metropolitan Plan and the design of the new Barcelona Brand strategy. He is also a founding member and currently on the board of the Barcelona Global Association.
- How the 1992 Olympic Games changed everything;
- Why being known for and admired as a tourist destination is not always desirable for a city;
- The strategy, action and tools of Barcelona’s city branding;
- How Barcelona involved the private sector in its branding efforts;
- How long it takes for a city branding initiative to bear fruits;
- Impacts of Barcelona’s city branding strategy;
- Future challenges for Brand Barcelona.
This city branding case study is part of our premium content, available to subscribers only. To subscribe, please click on the blue button below. Already purchased Premium access but not seeing the whole article? Simply click on the “Already Purchased” link and sign in with your Tinypass username and password. You should only have to do this once for each computer you are using. More answers to frequent questions here.
Latest posts by The Editorial Team (see all)
- Public Diplomacy Explained: What it Means and Why it Matters - 19 February 2017
- Interview: Jesper Falkheimer on Place Branding, Media and Strategic Communication - 16 February 2017
- Economic Development Explained: What it Means and Why it Matters - 14 February 2017