What is it with Barcelona in Catalonia (Spain) that people’s eyes sparkle as soon as you mention its name? Where does this magic come from, and was it always like this? Far from it. As city branding expert Juan Carlos Belloso explains in this case study, Barcelona’s admired brand today is the result of many years of hard work and determination.
This reflection on Barcelona’s city brand development is based on the extensive professional experience of Juan Carlos Belloso, managing director at FuturePlaces. Juan Carlos assisted the Barcelona’92 Olympic Games Organization and helped develop the Strategic Metropolitan Plan and the design of the new Barcelona Brand strategy. He is also a founding member and currently on the board of the Barcelona Global Association.
- How the 1992 Olympic Games changed everything;
- Why being known for and admired as a tourist destination is not always desirable for a city;
- The strategy, action and tools of Barcelona’s city branding;
- How Barcelona involved the private sector in its branding efforts;
- How long it takes for a city branding initiative to bear fruits;
- Impacts of Barcelona’s city branding strategy;
- Future challenges for Brand Barcelona.