Isabella Falco, Director of Communications and Country Image at PromPeru, in this interview gives us a behind the scenes account on how the Latin American country has managed to establish Brand Peru among the most successful country brands in the region.
Isabella Falco was a speaker at the recent City Nation Place Forum in London, supported by The Place Brand Observer as media partner.
- What Brand Peru stands for, and how its meaning has changed over the last years;
- The main challenges of positioning Peru in the Latin American market;
- Which strategies PromPeru uses to increase country awareness among young audiences overseas;
- How important Peru’s “digital country brand” is for Isabella Falco’s work;
- How Peru measures success and ROI of its country branding initiatives;
- Which country branding mistakes to avoid.
Isabella, do you remember the first time you thought about Peru as a “brand”?
Yes, actually, it was when I was hired to launch the Peru Country Brand. That was the first time I had ever heard of a country being referred to as a brand, and I thought it would be the biggest challenge of my career. Needless to say, I took the offer.
As Director of Communications and Country Image at PromPeru, in your view, what does “Brand Peru” stand for?
Brand Peru became a lovemark among Peruvian nationals only one year after its launch. It is 6 years old now and thriving.
Brand Peru is a symbol of identity for Peruvians, it is a means of expressing pride in who we are and what we have as a country.
It is that special tag that marks Machu Picchu, our emblematic archaeological site; cebiche, our national dish; alpaca, our softest textile fibre; and pisco, our favorite spirit, among many other things Peruvian.
Latest posts by The Editorial Team (see all)
- Interview with Helena Nordström on Place Branding in Sweden and Characteristics of Successful Place Brands - 14 December 2017
- Overtourism in European Cities: Study Reveals Root Causes, Consequences and Possible Solutions - 12 December 2017
- Interview with Isabella Falco on the Success Strategy Behind Brand Peru Country Branding - 7 December 2017