Efe Sevin is an Assistant Professor and Program Coordinator at Communication and Media Studies program at Reinhardt University (Georgia, US).
His research focuses on the measurement and assessment processes in place branding and public diplomacy campaigns. His current research focuses on the development and branding strategies used by small urban centers that are in close proximity to metropolitan centers.
His works have appeared in several academic journals including Place Branding & Public Diplomacy, Journal of Place Management and Development, American Behavioral Scientist, Public Relations Review, and Cities. His most recent book, Public Diplomacy and the Implementation of Foreign Policy in the US, Sweden and Turkey, was published by Palgrave MacMillan in 2017.
Efe Sevin received his Ph.D. from American University’s School of International Service, Washington, D.C. He completed his graduate studies at Emerson College, Boston, MA as a Foreign Fulbright scholar, and his undergraduate studies at Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
Which topics linked to place branding are you most passionate about, as researcher?
- Measurement and assessment
- Communication and messaging in place branding
- Stakeholder communication
- Social media and place branding
- Place branding as a political tool
- Internationalization of cities / City diplomacy
5 hashtags which describe your research style/approach:
#empirical #data #visualization #socialmedia #networks
Key insights from your research so far?
- What you call as your client is somebody’s hometown – do not forget the impact of your practice on the residents.
- Place branding is basically a negotiation process – you need to engage with as many different stakeholders as possible before, during, and after your campaign.
- Presence on social media is not optional – and it is a full-time job.
- When measuring place brands, seek nuanced explanations – not crude rankings.
- You can never have too much data!
Connect with Efe:
More about place branding and public diplomacy in our interview with Efe Sevin.
You’d like to be added to our directory of place brand(ing) researchers? Here’s how.