Statia Elliot, Director of the School of Hospitality, Food & Tourism Management at the University of Guelph in Canada, in this interview discusses the evolution of destination marketing, DMOs and their convergence with the field of place branding.
- Current trends in destination marketing;
- Challenges in the development and management of destination brands;
- Place branding research priorities, from a tourism perspective;
- The role of place branding for DMOs, as part of their adaptation to new realities;
- The five most important ingredients for successful destination brands.
Statia, how did you first become involved in the management and marketing of tourist destinations?
I was hired by the tourism department of the province of Manitoba as an analyst to research and provide market knowledge to support their marketing efforts. After a few years of developing an understanding of what made the destination brand work, I moved up to the position of Marketing Director, just in time for the Winnipeg Pan Am Games – in 1999!
Oops, it looks like you don't have access to the full story. To continue reading, please log in (if you already subscribed) or join the community by purchasing one of our subscription plans!