Statia Elliot, Director of the School of Hospitality, Food & Tourism Management at the University of Guelph in Canada, in this interview discusses the evolution of destination marketing, DMOs and their convergence with the field of place branding.
- Current trends in destination marketing;
- Challenges in the development and management of destination brands;
- Place branding research priorities, from a tourism perspective;
- The role of place branding for DMOs, as part of their adaptation to new realities;
- The five most important ingredients for successful destination brands.
Statia, how did you first become involved in the management and marketing of tourist destinations?
I was hired by the tourism department of the province of Manitoba as an analyst to research and provide market knowledge to support their marketing efforts. After a few years of developing an understanding of what made the destination brand work, I moved up to the position of Marketing Director, just in time for the Winnipeg Pan Am Games – in 1999!
To continue reading, please subscribe