Economic development is the objective of most city branding case studies published by The Place Brand Observer over the last years – which is hardly surprising considering the growing competition between cities around the world for talent, investors and new business. Alas, developing a feasible place brand strategy for encouraging economic development in cities, neighborhoods or regions isn’t easy.
The purpose of our place branding case studies and examples of best practice is to help those in charge of economic development to know what to expect and what to ask for when engaging with place brand(ing) strategies.
4 Place Branding Examples for Economic Development Pros
Here are four place branding examples which we think will be particularly interesting for economic developers:
Make Something Edmonton, Canada
In this case study on city branding, learn about the award-winning storytelling and city brand development approach of the city of Edmonton in Canada. Expertly led and told by Todd Babiak – economic development promotion at its best.
ONLY Lyon, France
City branding case study – example Lyon, France. Learn about city brand development and management by ONLYLYON: its mission, approach, challenges and successes. Business is booming in this up and coming city in Southern France. A veritable fountain of inspiration for economic developers in Europe and beyond.
The Canadian city of Mississauga is another compelling example of place branding strategy used for economic development and talent attraction, shared by David Ferreira, Jeannette Hanna and Malcolm Allan. A useful illustration of how a city brand can strengthen a place and rally its stakeholders around a common vision.
Malcolm Allan sent us his case study on the brand development for the city region of Cork in Southern Ireland. A very comprehensive description of how to develop a city brand strategy to encourage economic development, together with the city’s main stakeholders.
- More case studies on the brand development and management of cities and regions
- Latest economic development insights and stories
Know someone who might find our 4 place branding examples for economic development professionals useful? Please share!
Latest posts by The Editorial Team (see all)
- Interview with Louise Juhl of Copenhagen Capacity on Talent Attraction Strategies, the Role of Empathy and Collaboration - 18 January 2018
- Interview with Mateu Hernández Maluquer of Barcelona Global on City Brand Challenges and Talent Attraction Strategies - 11 January 2018
- Interview with Pärtel-Peeter Pere on Branding in the Nordics, Nation Brands and Talent Attraction Strategies - 4 January 2018