City branding case studies and examples are among the most popular articles published by The Place Brand Observer – which is hardly surprising considering the growing competition between cities around the world for talent, investors, visitors and students. Alas, developing a feasible place brand strategy for cities, neighborhoods or urban regions isn’t easy.
The purpose of our collection of place branding case studies is to help those in charge of destination marketing, economic development or city competitiveness by offering best practice examples to follow and to learn from.
Top 5 City Branding Case Studies & Examples
Five city branding case studies and examples worth checking out:
How Hamburg moved from traditional destination marketing to strategic city branding. Thorsten Kausch reflects on the challenges and lessons learned.
In this case study on city branding, learn about the award-winning storytelling and city brand development approach of the city of Edmonton in Canada.
In this city branding case study by David Ferreira, Jeannette Hanna and Malcolm Allan we visit the Canadian city of Mississauga. A compelling example of how a city brand can strengthen a place and rally its stakeholders around a common vision.
City branding case study – example Lyon, France. Learn about city brand development and management by ONLYLYON: its mission, approach, challenges and successes.
London Bridge is an intriguing case study written by Malcolm Allan of UK-based place brand strategy consultancy PlaceMatters, and Donald Campbell, Place Marketing Manager of Team London Bridge.
- More case studies on the brand development and management of cities and destinations
- Latest insights and advice for city brand managers and marketers
[This article was originally published on 27 December 2015 and was last updated on the date above]
Enjoyed our top 5 city branding case studies and examples to learn from? Spread the word!
Latest posts by The Editorial Team (see all)
- Interview with Louise Juhl of Copenhagen Capacity on Talent Attraction Strategies, the Role of Empathy and Collaboration - 18 January 2018
- Interview with Mateu Hernández Maluquer of Barcelona Global on City Brand Challenges and Talent Attraction Strategies - 11 January 2018
- Interview with Pärtel-Peeter Pere on Branding in the Nordics, Nation Brands and Talent Attraction Strategies - 4 January 2018