In this interview with Jeremy Tamanini, founder and consultant at Dual Citizen, learn about the connections between sustainability performance and the reputation and competitiveness of places: countries, cities and destinations. Discover the links between climate change and place branding, and how to measure the return on investment of sustainability initiatives of places. Jeremy also shares useful advice on the Global Green Economy Index™ (GGEI) and outlines the three most important factors for places to maintain a strong, positive reputation over time.
- Place branding and economic development in Dubai;
- The link between place branding and sustainability;
- What the Global Green Economy Index™ (GGEI) is all about;
- The key insights after publishing five editions of the GGEI;
- How sustainability performance impacts country (or city) reputation and competitiveness;
- How to measure the return on investment (ROI) of sustainability initiatives of places;
- How climate change impacts the reputation/perception and competitiveness of places;
- The 3 most important factors for places to maintain a strong, positive reputation over time.
Jeremy, much of your work so far has been linked to place branding and/or sustainability. What stirred your interest in those two topics, and how do they interact in your research and consulting practice?
My career started in the private sector, focused on brand marketing in the retail industry. Retail is fast-paced and driven by the bottom line. Marketing and brand positioning support concrete business goals. Finding the right alignment of the “four Ps” of marketing (i.e. price, product, promotion, and place) is challenging and success or failure is quickly known.
I quite enjoyed the brand marketing function of this work, but did not have a passion for the products it was focused on selling. Place branding opened up a whole new frontier for me in revealing how some of this strategic thinking could be applied to places, cities and empowering the people living and working in them.
Latest posts by The Editorial Team (see all)
- Interview with Lauren Millier on Economic Development and Urban Planning - 19 October 2017
- How Overtourism Affects Destination Reputation and Competitiveness: Issues, Strategies and Solutions - 17 October 2017
- Interview with Eduardo Oliveira on Place Branding and Strategic Spatial Planning - 12 October 2017